After going on a family trip to the beach just a week ago, Brian Parrott, 50, is now fighting flesh-eating bacteria in the intensive-care unit of a hospital in Houston, Texas. According to his family, Doctors amputated Brian Parrott’s right leg due to a severe infection.
Donna Dailey, Parrott’s mom, said he made the statement indicating he did not know how much more of this we could take. Brian Parrot’s family is impressed by his getting the infection.
“The problem I have is he didn’t know about it,” Dailey said. “If (his family) had known about it, they surely wouldn’t have put (my) great-grandkids or his grandkids in the water.”
On June, 12, Parrott went to a Galveston (Texas) beach, apparently, without trouble. He said he swam with his son and grandchildren for at least two hours. Days later, Parrott started to feel sick, and vomiting and some bruises came up on his leg.
Although Harris County health officials have not confirmed Parrott’s infection, it could be a Vibrio vulnific infection, a bacteria commonly known as flesh-eating. By having contact through existing cuts and scrapes, this bacteria’s toxins may have killed Parrot’s skin cells on his right leg. Officials have not confirmed the origin of the infection yet, and Doctors told Parrot’s mother that is probably that he contracted the bacteria through a scratch on his foot.
Parrot’s family claimed there were no signs or warnings when they were at the beach. Although they are concerned about Parrott’s life expectancy, they think this is something to be shared about Parrot’s story.
Dailey says they want to get the word out, which is the most important. She says that there’s nothing more that she or his family members can do for her son, but maybe they can save somebody else life.
Flesh-eating bacteria living in coastal waters
A Galveston Health Department spokesman said that flesh-eating bacteria live in coastal waters and can infect when someone’s open wound is exposed to brackish or salt water through the United States. According to U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. 80,000 infections have been reported leading to 100 death cases.
This year, so far, it has been reported two cases of Vibrio bacterial infection to the Galveston County Health District. One victim contracted the disease from eating raw or under-cooked shellfish and the other one from swimming with an open wound, said Scott Packard, spokesman for the Galveston County Health District.
Flesh-eating bacteria survivor Aimee Copeland shares an inspiring beach photo https://t.co/W6CR8fzb2z pic.twitter.com/LhSBcECJf9
— FB Newswire (@fbnewswire) June 8, 2016
Source: Channel 9 News