After being placed on the 15-day disabled list, Pablo Sandoval’s left shoulder injury has been confirmed to be more than just a strain muscle on Friday. John Farrell, manager of the Boston Red Sox had previously undermined Sandoval’s injury, as he claimed he knew speculation ran rampant.
The 15-day rest placed on the famed player for Boston was only the latest on the twisted start for Sandoval’s season on the ongoing year. Still, the player for the Red Sox team assured he didn’t injure his shoulder because of batting practices nor the time he spends in the batting cage.
But following his medical appointment on Thursday, Sandoval said his MRI results were not good. The famed player for the Red Sox also said his left shoulder was still feeling sore since earlier this week, on a report for ESPN. Even though this could mean the baseball player will watch this year’s season from the bench, Farrell claims Sandoval could be a major asset later in 2016.
Nevertheless, the team’s president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski refused to make any statement until they get a second opinion for Sandoval’s injured shoulder. Sandoval, who was used to being Boston’s back third baseman, was overthrown during spring training by Travis Shaw, which may have had something to do with the player possibly missing out this season.
Still, Farrell didn’t rule out the chance for Sandoval to step up on the field late this season while he acknowledges the challenge for him to stay in shape while being a benchwarmer. Sandoval released a statement giving more details about his injured shoulder, claiming he didn’t feel anything weird a few days ago. According to Boston Red Sox’s former third baseman, he wasn’t able to move his arms when he woke up Wednesday morning.
A tough one to get walk off for Sandoval
Even though Sandoval states he has dealt with this kind of problem on previous occasions, further diagnosis is needed in order to determine the causes of the injury. Sandoval assured that something happened, as he was expecting to get more details after seeing team doctors, said the report from ESPN.
Considering the current contract with Sandoval for over $95 million, it’s in the Boston Red Sox’s best interest to put him on the 15-day disabled list to prevent him to truly injure himself and lose the 2016 season. The team’s manager Farrell said they have encouraged Sandoval’s early work as well as his pregame work.
Yet this could present some setbacks to the player as he is used to covering back off third base. Farrell is convinced that the change of role in the baseball field will definitely be a challenging task for Pablo to settle in, yet it’s not impossible.