A suicide car bomber killed 25 government soldiers at a Yemeni at a military base. The assault occurred on Wednesday in an army base nearby the International Airport in the southern Yemeni city of Aden.
The attack was perpetrated at a checkpoint outside the Al Solban military base, in the port town of Aden. Before dawn, two suicide bombers were spotted looking for a checkpoint near the army base, and then the individuals detonated the car bombing. As a result, 25 Yemeni soldiers were killed and eight others Yemeni troops were wounded in the attack. Six militants were also killed.
During the clashes occurred inside the building, dozens of rocket-propelled grenade rockets were launched. So, the suicide car bomber did not only caused the lethal detonation, but also lead to hours of clashes into the facility and in the surrounding area.
Aden’s local security officials argued that attackers dressed as government soldiers, which allowed them quickly to take total control of a military building inside the base. However, a senior Aden security official argued that it is not possible the perpetrators to belong to government troops due to they were not inside the base during the assault.
— The Straits Times (@STcom) July 6, 2016
“Majority of the government troops were not inside the base at the time of the attack and were celebrating the Muslim Eid holiday with their families,” said a senior Aden security official.
According to Aden’ local authorities, the Aden International Airport after the attack started. Aden’ International Airport is located near the military base. It was after hours of confrontation that the Government forces, backed by a Saudi-led military alliance, retook control of the Al-Solban army base.
Last week, four suicide car bombings were set in Yemen. The attack killed at least 42 people, including 35 soldiers and a child.
Wednesday attack is the most recent violent act perpetrated by militants in Yemeni territory. The ongoing attacks started in July 2015, when government forces, supported by the Saudi-led coalition, liberated the city from the Houthis (a sectarian military rebellion).
Al Qaeda claimed responsibility for the attack
As per the militant monitoring SITE Intelligence group, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula claimed responsibility for the assault. The paramilitary organization stated via messaging Telegram service that the attack is part of a revenge plan towards the government attacks elsewhere in southern Yemen. The telegram said the assault was retaliation for government “crimes” committed in Abyan and Lahj.
Yemen faces today a civil war scenario involving government forces backed by a Saudi-led coalition against Shiite Houthi rebels. The conflict has killed more than 6,400 people. It has also represented the primary factor of the economics and humanitarian crisis the country is currently facing.
— محمد بن خالد (@saikhamk) July 5, 2016