Former rap music producer, Marion “Suge” Knight, sued Chris Brown over 2014 club shooting that left him seven gunshots wounds. The civil lawsuit also included Pia Mia and owners of the West Hollywood nightclub.
The lawsuit filed on Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court accuses charges Brown and owners of the West Hollywood nightclub 1 Oak in providing a negligent safe environment on August 23, 2014.
In the lawsuit, Brown is accused of being a “known gang associate” and it also said that both Brown and the nightclub failed in providing proper security for the attendants and in allowing at least one armed person to get into the club’s facilities.
“As a result of the negligence of the defendants, one or more unknown individuals were allowed access to the event with weapons, including firearms. As a foreseeable result, gunshots were fired by those admitted into the event and (Knight) was shot and seriously injured,” said the lawsuit.
The 10-page civil lawsuit also referred to past events hosted by Brown in which violent incidents were registered.
“Aware of this documented past and the high likelihood of violence including the possession and or use of firearms by those attending the event the defendants, and each of them, had a duty to provide adequate security,” the lawsuit aslo stated.
On August 23, 2014, Brown was hosting a party alongside musician Pia Mia Perez (better known as Pia Mia) at the 1 OAK club. During the event, Knight received seven gunshots on his abdomen, chest and left forearm. Knight survived the wounds. However, he seeks economic compensation for past and future medical expenses and other unspecified damages above $25,000. Other two people were injured that night. Since then, Brown nor Perez have been implicated in the shooting and no arrests have been made.
The lawsuit also lists other 30 defendants, who have been identified as co-owners or landlords of the club.
Knight’s collapse from 2014 gunshot wounds
The Death Row Records co-founder alleged complications from several shots he received at West Hollywood nightclub 1 Oak, which is indirectly linked to the murder charge Knight is currently going through. Months after the shooting, Knight was accused of running over two men with his pickup truck. He killed one man and the other resulted seriously injured.
According to Knight’s attorneys, the former rap music producer was extremely frail from the gunshots he had received less than five months earlier. Knight’s lawyers added their client was afraid for his life, and he was still in recovering from the traumatic shock nightclub’s shooting caused on him.
Knight has pleaded not guilty. His trial is scheduled to start on August 1.