The snacks company Frito-Lay announced on Tuesday a voluntary recall for select Rold Gold Tiny Twists, Rold Gold Sticks, and Rold Honey Wheat Braided products due to potential undeclared peanut allergen.
The recall is the result of a previous recall by Grain Craft, the same flour supplier used by Hostess Brands, LLC, which has recently recalled 71,000 cases for peanut residue in some of its snack cakes and doughnuts. Since Frito-Lay used the recalled flour to produce its Rold Gold products, they may contain low levels of peanut traces.
According to Grain Craft, the company does not provide or use any peanut products in its facilities; however, the flour comes from one mill in Georgia, where peanuts are also produced.
Although no reports of illness related to the Frito-Lay recalled snacks have been received, people who allergic or suffer from severe sensitivity to peanuts should refrain from eating them. They might run the risk of severe reactions such as hives, flushed skin, tingling or itchy sensation in the mouth, and difficulty to breath, loss of consciousness, vomiting, diarrhea, etc. Also, this could lead to anaphylaxis, a life-threatening allergic reaction.
The affected Rold Gold Snacks
— Food Processing News (@_foodprocessing) June 7, 2016
The Rold Gold products that may have peanut residue have “guaranteed fresh” dates ranging from June 28, 2016- August 23, 2016, on the first package, additionally, they have a 9-digit manufacturing code that includes the numbers “32” in the second and third position (example: x32xxxxxx). If the “32” number is not in the second or third place of the manufacturing code, it means that this package is not affected by the recalled flour. The following Rold Gold product presentations have been affected:
- Rold Gold Tiny Twists – 1 oz., 2 oz., 16 oz. And 20½ oz.
- Rold Gold Thins – 4 oz. and 16 oz.
- Rold Gold Sticks – 16 oz.
- Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided – 10 oz. 20 count Baked & Popped Mix — “use by” dates ranging from May 31 – July 26, 2016
- 20 count SunChips & Rold Gold Mix — “use by” dates ranging from June 14 – August 9, 2016
- 32 count Fun Times Mix — “use by” dates ranging from June 14 – August 9, 2016
- 30 count Baked & Popped Variety Pack — “use by” dates ranging from June 14 – August 9, 2016
- 30 count Home Town Favorite Variety Pack — “use by” dates ranging from May 31 – July 26, 2016
Any consumer with a product with these descriptions above can return it to the retailer for a full refund, or contact Frito-Lay Consumer Relations (9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. CST, Mon.-Fri.) at 1-888-256-3090.