After the extensive list of women accusing the American film producer Harvey Weinstein of sexual assaulter, the New York Police Department informed that authorities gathered information of an actress who claims that Weinstein raped her twice in 2010.
Officers said Friday the evidence “is credible.” However, they need to look for more information until they’re able to process a possible arrest warrant.
In an article published Thursday by Vanity Fair, the “Boardwalk Empire” actress Paz de la Huerta said she had informed the New York police about two forced sexual encounters Harvey made her had in 2010 — exactly with the same characteristics of the case that the NYPD described.
NYPD’s chief of detectives, Robert Boyce, told reporters that investigators considered believable the accusations from de la Huerta and that they issued subpoenas and corroborated parts of her statement in these last nine days since the first time she informed the police. According to Boyce, police has “an actual case.”
“She put forth a credible and detailed narrative,” Boyce said. “We found corroboration…. We have an actual case here.” If Weinstein were in New York now and the alleged rapes were recent, Boyce said, “we would go right away and make the arrest. No doubt. But we are talking about a 7-year-old case and we have to move forward gathering evidence first.”
Boyce’s briefing is the most significant move authorities have made since the first time a woman accused Harvey of being a sexual assaulter. Just this last month, more than 60 women accused him of sexual harassment, sexual assault, and rape in different stages of their lives.
De la Huerta: ‘He’s like a pig…. He raped me’
According to the NYPD report, de la Huerta offered the police very accurate information. According to Boyce, she articulated “each and every movement of the crime.” She told where she was first, the location they met, exactly the place where Weinstein raped her, and “what he did.”
Boyce said his detectives are working with NY prosecutors to decide whether they should charge Weinstein or not. They still need more time and information.
“It wasn’t consensual,” de la Huerta told Vanity Fair. “It happened very quickly…. When he was done he said he’d be calling me. I kind of just laid on the bed in shock. I did say no, and when he was on top of me I said, ‘I don’t want to do this. It was disgusting. He’s like a pig…. He raped me.”
From that total of women who continue emerging against the American mogul, 13 have informed Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, New York and London police about sexual assaults related to Weinstein.
The representative of the American mogul, Sallie Hofmeister, said that he repeatedly and “unequivocally denies allegations of non-consensual sex.”
In addition, there are other women related and non-related to the entertainment industry who are opening about their similar experiences. Many of them have accused high-profile men – including studio chiefs, chefs, actors, and journalists.
Likewise, these women are enforcing men to share their experiences. Early this week, Star Trek actor Anthony Rapp accused the House of Cards actor Kevin Spacey of having aggressively advanced on him thirty years ago. Rapp said Spacey was 26 for that moment, while he was just 14.
Source: The Washington Post