Kansas Police Department reported on Tuesday that a captain was shot and killed in the line of duty. The incident occurred at Kansas’ Haskell Avenue neighborhood.

Kansas police officers responded on Tuesday afternoon to a call about a shooting disturbance at the Haskell Avenue neighborhood. While confronting suspects in a drive-by shooting, Capitan Robert David Melton, 46, was struck during the confrontation.

Kansas City, Kansas, police captain Robert David Melton has died following a shooting on July 19. Credit: KSHB/NBC News

Melton was pronounced dead at the hospital

Kansas City Mayor, Mark Holland, said at a news conference that Melton’s death comes at a time of alarming concerns about police targeting. He also called for prayers for Captain Melton’s family and friends.

“This is a very tense and volatile time in our community and our nation. It is important that we not jump to conclusions or speculate about this situation,” Mayor Holland said.

Kansas Governor, Sam Brownback, sent prayers for Melton’s family and condolences to Kansas City police department likewise.

Capt. Melton was a 17-year veteran of the Kansas City police department.

The incident’s development

Police Chief Terry Zeigler recalled Tuesday’s events. The incident during which Captain Robert Melton lost his life began on Tuesday afternoon at about 1:30 p.m. A person called 911 to report multiple people were firing from a car.

Neighbors said about 15 to 20 gunshots originating inside a car parked in the neighborhood. When police arrived on the scene, one person was taken into custody by suspects.

Then, three or four occupants of the car jumped out and ran away. Melton and other officers started chasing the suspects. About half-an-hour after the initial call, Melton recognized a group of men about 20 blocks from the original scene matching the suspects’ description and pulled over his vehicle.

Capitan Melton did not reach to get out of his car when suspects opened fire, and he was shot multiple times. Melton was taken to the University of Kansas Hospital just before 2.30 p.m. in Kansas City. Unfortunately, resuscitation efforts did not work out, and Melton’s death was pronounced.

According to Zeigler, five minutes later, the shooter was caught by police officers about a block away. A second suspect was taken into custody later, and police officers continue investigating at the Haskell Avenue neighborhood to get more information about the case.

Officers are also looking for at least a third suspect

Kansas police spokesman Cameron Morgan said that Melton’s vehicle was in the middle of the street with glass and blood all over it.

Police authorities did not provide further details about the incident. It will be on Wednesday morning when details of Melton’s shooting would be made public at a news conference.

Source: Wall Street Journal