The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced the recall of over 250,000 pounds of Green Chile’s frozen burritos due to possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination.
The items were packaged between March 8 and May 10. The burritos, manufactured in New Mexico, were mostly shipped to distribution centers in California, Illinois, Oregon, and South Dakota.
Frozen burritos recalled due to possible infection
During a routinary inspection in one of Green Chile’s facilities, the FSIS personnel found evidence of Listeria monocytogenes in a sample of beef and potato burrito. A recall order was issued and is now being transmitted to the public to prevent anyone from eating the potentially contaminated products.
Luckily, there have been no reports of listeriosis (Listeria infection) due to consumption of Green Chile products, Listeria monocytogenes being the most common contaminant in large-scale food production.
The products recalled by Green Chile followed by their case code are the following:
8-ounce paper wrap packages
- Egg & bacon burrito with cheddar cheese, potato, green chile, salsa & jalapeño 833425000900.
- Poblano chicken burrito with Monterrey jack cheese, salsa, rice, onion, green chile and green & red bell peppers 833425000931.
- Beef & Potato burrito with cheddar cheese, green chile & salsa 833425000887.
7-ounce paper wrap packages
- Chipotle chicken burrito with salsa & Monterey jack 833425001426.
- Carnitas burrito with salsa, Monterey Jack & cilantro lime rice 833425001488.
- Egg & sausage breakfast burrito with hash browns, salsa, & cheddar 833425000382.
- Egg & bacon breakfast burrito with hash browns, salsa, green chile & cheddar. 833425000368.
- Beef burrito with potato, green chile, salsa & cheddar 833425000320.
- Chicken fajita burrito with salsa & cheddar 833425000429.
- Shredded steak burrito with salsa, Monterey jack, green chile, onion, rice & jalapeño peppers 10833425008941.
- Beef & bean burrito with green chile, salsa & cheddar 833425000344.
- Fiesta breakfast burrito with beef, egg, hash browns, green chile, cheddar & sausage 833425000405.
Listeriosis symptoms include headaches, fever, confusion, diarrhea, and convulsions. In pregnant women, listeriosis can lead to miscarriages and premature delivery. The bacteria can survive for extended periods of time, especially when frozen, which is why most listeria outbreaks occur thanks to products similar to Green Chile’s frozen burritos.
The main way to treat listeriosis is by using antibiotics. Anyone experiencing symptoms that resemble the flu after eating a potentially contaminated product should seek assistance from a health care specialist as soon as possible. Symptoms start appearing a few days after the person has eaten the product, although the disease is known to desist if the individual is too healthy to become infected at all.
Consumers should contact Green Chile’s customer service at (800) 695-0843 if any inconvenience surges as a consequence of the ingestion of the products mentioned above. Although there have been no reported cases of infection, perhaps they have gone unnoticed due to frozen burritos being seen as unhealthy meals.
Anyone that has bought one of the Green Chile products mentioned above should dispose it or head to the store where it was purchased to obtain a reimbursement.
Source: USDA FSIS