Florida – Katherine Gaydos, a woman from Florida, glued her eye after she mistakenly grabbed super glue instead of eye drops. As a result, her left eye ended up completely closed and harmed. The event happened last week.
“Something blew into my eye and I screamed for someone else to get eye drops out of my purse and they brought Super Glue. As soon as I felt it in my eye I felt it burn and I closed my eye and screamed ‘Call 911’”. Gaydos told WPBF-TV.
Gaydos claimed that the problem began when she stood next to a man with a leaf blower, and various debris flew into her eye. That was when she desperately asked the man with the leaf blower to find some eye drops for her to relieve her itching. Apparently the man confused the bottle of Visine for that of a Super Glue, according to ABC News.
The woman had to stay one week with her eye glued shut, feeling a great pain. When she went to the doctor, who fortunately open her eyes after using Lidocaine, which is an anesthetic to treat her eyelids, she received the good news. The doctor said she should get her sight back, and that she did not suffer long-term damage.
A common situation
Experts have commented that this situation is more normal than people think. Dr Pankaj Gupta, assistant professor of ophthalmology at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio, said that “he has seen multiple cases where people accidentally glued their eyes shut but that there are simple treatments to help them.” ABC News informed.
Gupta also added that people should not panic when on this situation, he explained that the eye cells will slough off and the eye eventually looses the grip of the glue. “There is not a single thing that is permanent that will not slough off on its own. In time it will go away.” he said, as ABC News reported.
Source: ABC News