Modafinil has long been one of the many types of medications used by medical professionals to treat a wide variety of sleeping disorders. Commonly found in pharmacies and hospitals under the name “Provigil”, they’ve proven to be a great help with conditions such as narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea (OPA) and other different sleeping disorders.
There’s a lot of medical research which backs up these uses for the drug. In recent times, however, another different use has arisen for the drug- cognitive enhancement – you can learn more about it on ModafinilNow.
So what actually is cognition? According to Oxford Dictionaries, it is defined as “the mental action or process of acquiring knowledge and understanding through thought, experience, and the senses”. More or less, it’s what you experience every day by learning new things, remembering them and using this knowledge in future situations. It’s also related to a lot of mental aspects, including concentration.
Some researchers have found that modafinil boosts better cognitive function without causing serious side effects. Modafinil, which has been primarily prescribed in the U.S. since 1998 to treat sleep-related conditions such as narcolepsy, heightens alertness in a similar way to caffeine. This has led to a lot of people using it when they are studying or need to go a reasonable amount of time in a sharp frame of mind.
Unfortunately, with a lack of medical research in this area, there are a lot of things we don’t know about Provigil stimulants. There are things we do know, however, and it’s important that you take this ito consideration before using these stimulants. That’s why we’re here with our list of the top 10 things you need to know before taking any Provigil stimulant.
- It wasn’t originally meant to be a brain stimulant. As is often the case with a lot of ‘brain medicines’, modafinil wasn’t originally designed to help us study better at night. In fact, it was made to be a treatment for people who suffered from different kinds of sleep disorders. These include obstructive sleep apnea and narcolepsy, and it is still used for these kinds of disorders today. However, due to its ability to keep people feeling more awake and more aware of their surroundings, it has become very popular amongst students and people who work at night in order to keep their brain focused. This change in use has been met with a lot of different responses, some positive and some negative. While it’s clear that modafinil can help keep us feel more alert when we need it due to its original design, a lot of people remain unconvinced by its suitability and its long term effects. Research is continually being done to assure users of its safety and its productivity over an extended period of time.
- There can be side effects. Side effects are another thing you have to consider if you’re going to use Provigil stimulants. Although we mentioned above that a lot of research points to there being no side effects, it’s rare that something so good comes without any flaws- and these drugs are no different. Modafinil has been shown to cause insomnia, headache, and stomachache in select users, and some research suggests it could be addictive. Although these kinds of problems may be worth enduring for a drug that treats an illness, a lot of professionals are adamant that you shouldn’t take anything unless you absolutely have to. Due to the lack of evidence surrounding how the drugs can affect us, there could yet be unknown side effects caused which simply haven’t been picked up on. You don’t want to be effected by this ill goings-on, and so it’s probably advisable that you are very careful if you do decide to get involved with these stimulants. A pill you take to ace an exam, for instance, won’t do you much good if it also causes a grueling stomach ache. By the way, we wouldn’t advise taking any pills before exams even if they didn’t cause any side effects!
- They can be dangerous if used by young children. Studies have shown that, as with most drugs, different considerations have to be taken into account when using the drug with people in different situations and with different reasons for doing so. This is very important if you’re thinking about letting your children use these if it isn’t for strictly medical reasons. Why is this, you ask? It’s mostly to do with the fact that children at these ages- particularly young children and young teens- haven’t got a fully developed brain yet. The brain continues to develop long into childhood, and there are a lot of worries that these kinds of drugs can actually stunt the development of the brain. With the lack of knowledge surrounding the drugs and their long term benefits or adversities, there’s often been a lot of frowns throughout society for parents who allow their children to use them. Granted, if it’s for medical reasons and your children need them then fair enough- but if not you should have a second thought. We don’t know enough about these stimulants to be experts on the impact they can have on children, and therefore the development of the brain could in fact be stunted. If you’re thinking about giving your children these kinds of drugs for any reason other than on medical grounds, you should probably think again. A short term fix like Provigil stimulants will most certainly not be worth it if your child’s development and growth grinds to a halt. It’s never wise to give children these kinds of experimental drugs if it’s not for a proper reason, so it’s probably not worth the risk.
- Modafinil helps people with lowers IQs. While there are groups of people who should avoid modafinil, there are some who it could help- including people with lower IQs. A lot of studies have shown that these kinds of drugs can in fact help people who are less naturally academic keep up with their peers, leading to hope they could even help reduce inequality. This may mean that in the future, with more research, people who struggle more academically could be given these drugs in order to give them a better chance of keeping up with others. This would most likely soften up critics of the drug (as long as it’s proven it’s safe to use) and could lead to mainstream use. We’ll need to wait and see, though.
- Older people may not benefit from using modafinil. Again, in a way similar to that with young children taking these drugs, special care must be taken with senior citizens in society who wish to take the drug. Numerous studies suggest that older adults may not get many benefits from cognition-enhancing drugs. Despite their brains being fully formed and functioning, older people are more likely to succumb to side effects the drugs offer. These studies have found that using these kinds of drugs has presented no real differences in the majority of test subjects, and the only noticeable change is the increase in cases of side effects. This means there may actually be no point at all in elderly people using the drug, but again research is lacking depth in this area. If we apply a similar mindset to that we do with children, however, it’s probably for the best that we avoid giving these drugs to senior citizens if it’s not strictly on medical grounds. They don’t need any cognitive enhancement at that age anyway, surely?
- It can help you with studying. It’s not all negatives, though! Obviously, as we’ve discussed, there is a severe lack of research into modafinil’s cognitive uses due to the difficulties posed, but a lot of people have used it as brain food while studying and claim it has helped them a lot. Working in a similar way to coffee, it makes us feel more alert and focused at a time when we need it most. Too often in the week leading up to a big exam or test, we feel too tired, bored and unenthusiastic to study properly. That’s where Provigil stimulants come into play; they counter these feelings. Instead of feeling drowsy and unmotivated, you’ll feel awake and sharp. You’ll be able to study harder and for a longer time, giving you a better chance of passing whatever it is you’re studying for!
- Purchasing it can cost a lot. These kinds of drugs can often cost a lot, and Provigil is no different. Until a short while ago, the rights to selling the drug were limited to one company and this meant prices were through the roof. As the only company selling the drug, they could dictate the prices to whatever suited them at the time. With a lot of new companies now being allowed to make their own versions and sell them, however, prices have started to lower a bit. It’s still pretty expensive, however. Single pills can cost you a lot, with most falling between the $40-$50 marks. If you want to take daily pills, this adds up well into the thousands of dollars per year, so you’ll really have to think the drugs are worth it if you want to take them frequently. With a lack of research (have we mentioned there’s a lack of research?) you’ll be taking a big chance if you spend this much, especially with the uncertainty over the drugs long term effects. However, if you need it for medical grounds or are willing to take the risk if you need to pass a big test, go for it. The choice is yours.
- It’s legal to buy it. While a lot of drugs similar to Provigil stimulants are often found on a list of banned substances, this drug isn’t. This is what makes it so popular, particularly amongst students; you don’t have to worry about being apprehended if you use it. It’s perfectly legal, which means you can use it until your heart is content (if you have the money for it, that is). Of course, there might be a dramatic discovery at some point down the line which earns it a big red cross, but we doubt it. For the moment, and probably for the foreseeable future, it’s legal to use for whatever means you deem necessary. It’s pretty easy to get your hands on it, as we’ll discuss in our next point. As long as you are being well advised and are confident it’s the right decision for you, these could offer you a big boost.
- You can buy it in your local supermarket. Although you might be worried about the means you’ll have to go through to get your hands on these smart drugs, you needn’t fret. It really can be as easy as walking to your local supermarket or corner store and browsing the medical aisle. More and more places are increasing their acceptance for selling the drug due to its ever-growing popularity, so it’s never been easier to purchase it. So if you’re looking to study better for an exam, need to stay up all night to get a project done or need to concentrate more at work, you probably just need to walk down the street to get your hands on it. It could end up being a pretty expensive walk, though.
- There is a lot more information about Provigil stimulators out there. If you feel our article hasn’t touched on some of the points or worries you have about modafinil, you don’t need to worry; there are plenty of other websites out there which will probably cover them. Whether it’s what version of the drug to get, more on side effects, the best times to use them or simply a bit more general information, this site really has it all when it comes to Provigil stimulants. Make sure to give them a look if you’re uncertain on anything we’ve discussed.