WASHINGTON – Alimentos Congelados, S.A. is voluntarily recalling 1,800 cases of frozen broccoli cuts sold in 11 states due to potential health risks. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced that the vegetable is likely contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes, which can lead to severe or even deadly infections in kids, elderly people and other frail individuals whose immune systems happen to be weakened.

An announcement by the FDA states that Alimentos Congelados was no longer distributing frozen broccoli cuts and that it was joining forces with regulatory agencies to find out more about the issue. The company urged anyone who bought this product to immediately throw it away.

Frozen broccoli cuts sold in 11 states are being recalled over fears of listeria contamination. Credit: ABC7 Chicago

The affected states where the cut broccoli was distributed include Kentucky, Indiana, Tennessee, Ohio, Virginia, Georgia, West Virginia, Alabama, Florida, North Carolina and South Carolina.

Foodsafetynews.com reported that a random test conducted by Ohio officials found that frozen broccoli packaged under Save-A-Lot’s Wylwood brand must be recalled over fears of Listeria monocytogenes.

The brand that is being recalled is packaged in inside 16-ouce plastic bags, which have specific label information consumers should be aware of as reported by CNN. Its label information is UPC 5193300110, whereas the bag code is either A25335P or A15335P.

Consumers seeking refund information and those who have other questions regarding the recalled product can call 800-888-4646 at no cost, Mondays through Fridays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. EDT.

Consumers must be aware of Listeria signals

The FDA warned in a statement that pregnant women with Listeria can potentially experience miscarriages and stillbirths. On other healthy individuals, the bacteria can cause short-term symptoms like fever, severe headache, nausea, stiffness, diarrhea and abdominal pain, the FDA said.

Listeria symptoms can take up to 70 days to appear after the patient has been exposed to the pathogen.

Source: United Press International