Lea Michele and other Glee co-stars paid tribute on Wednesday, July 13, to actor Cory Monteith for the third anniversary of his death. Celebrities and fans took social media to share their feelings for the tragic loss and remember the young artist and musician.
“I know everyday you’re watching over me, and smiling,” Michele, who was dating Monteith at the time, posted on Twitter. “Love you and miss you Cory, everyday, but today a little more.”
Glee co-stars Matthew Morrison, Kevin McHale, Naya Rivera, and Jenna Ushkowitz joined Michele on her tribute, along with fans around the world, by using the hashtag “#3YearsWithoutCory.”
It was known that Monteith began consuming drugs at the age of 13, entering rehabilitation at 19. In 2013 sought help once again, but died months later at the age of 31 from an overdose of heroin and alcohol, shocking everyone because he seemed to be doing well after rehab.
Monteith was found dead in a hotel room in Vancouver on July 13, 2013, and his former co-stars have been annually honoring their friend ever since.
In April, Michele, 29, got a tiny number “5” tattooed to remember the actor for the number of his football jersey as he interpreted Finn in the Glee series. After hearing the news in 2013, the actress felt devastated and “went crazy, screaming and crying until 3 a.m.,” a source told US Magazine at the time. They had been an official couple since 2011.
Other actors that have died from a drug overdose
Overdosing is, sadly, a relatively common way to die, especially among celebrities. They are always dealing with an enormous amount of pressure while their day-to-day life is exposed in the media. Sometimes they might seem fine, but behind the reflectors, they may be struggling with drug addiction.
On December 2009, actress Brittany Murphy died after going into cardiac arrest. An autopsy revealed later that the primary cause of her death was pneumonia, increased by anemia and multiple drug intoxication. The actress had been taking prescribed medication and accidentally overdosed.
On 2014, 46-year-old actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead in his apartment with a syringe in his arm. Police also found prescribed drugs but stated later that the official cause of the death was combined drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine. He had been struggling with drug addiction since a young age but managed to stay sober until he relapsed in 2013.
Other celebrities who have died from drug and alcohol abuse include singer Australian actor Heath Ledger, who was found dead in his bed in 2008. Toxicology reports concluded that he accidentally overdosed with prescribed medications, including hydrocodone, diazepam, and others.
In 2012, Whitney Houston, 48, accidentally overdosed on cocaine and other drugs.
Earlier this year, musician Prince was reported dead. After multiple toxicology tests, doctors stated that the singer accidentally overdosed on opioid fentanyl, though it was later revealed that the superstar was struggling with addiction to the drug and was just about to start treatment.
Source: US Magazine