Kabul, Afghanistan – Two separate suicide bombings left at least 27 killed and nearly 50 injured in eastern Afghanistan on Saturday. The terrorist attacks came days before the expected talks between the government and the Taliban, which has taken responsibility for one of the bombings.
The first attack was in Asadabad, Kunar province, near the governor’s compound in the eastern province of Kunar. At least, 14 died and others 41 were wounded, said Wahidullah Kalimzai, the province’s governor.
A suicide bomber approached Khan Jan, a tribal Pashtun elder, and detonated the bomb, killing the man who had been leading a local uprising against Taliban insurgents, along with many others civilians, including children playing in a nearby park, as reported by Los Angeles Times.
Hours apart, another bomber in Kabul set off his explosives at the entrance of the Defense Ministry’s headquarters as soldiers and officials were leaving their offices. The incident resulted in at least 12 people dead and 8 others wounded, according to a statement from the ministry.
The Taliban assumed responsibility for the Kabul attack, said a spokesman for the terrorist group, Zabihullah Mujahid. No one has claimed responsibility yet for the first one.
Violation of international humanitarian law
Statements have been issued by many entities condemning the recent attacks that have taken the life of many innocents during this war. The United Nation Assistance Mission in the country (UNAMA) reiterated in a press release that the indiscriminate use of explosives in areas crowded by civilians was a serious violation of international humanitarian law.
“The Mission reminded all parties to the armed conflict in Afghanistan that they are bound to uphold their legal obligations to at all times avoid harm to civilians,” added the statement. They also extended their condolences to the families of those who were killed and a speedy recovery for the injured.
Source: The Washington Post.